Premier Vehicle Care, Benfield Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE6 5XA. | Telephone: 0191 240 0700
Car Body Repairs | Car Repairs | Servicing | Tyres | MOT | Bodywork | Accident Repairs | Replacement Vehicles | Mechanical Repairs
Diesel particulate filters reduce pollution
Diesels produce lots of soot (particulate matter) that can cause respiratory problems and contribute to the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
Modern diesel cars (since 2009) have to be fitted with a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) in the exhaust to stop this soot passing into the atmosphere.
The aim is an 80% cut in particle emissions but the technology’s not without problems and our patrols are often called to cars with a blocked DPF.
To maintain performance a DPF has to be emptied regularly. This is usually done passively in a process called ‘regeneration’: when the exhaust temperature’s high enough, on motorways or fast A-roads.
- The collected soot is burnt off, leaving only a tiny ash residue.
- The ash can’t be removed – unless the DPF is removed from the vehicle and sent away for specialist cleaning – but a DPF in a car used correctly should be good for well over 100,000 miles.
Many cars don’t get the right sort of use for passive regeneration to work so car manufacturers build in ‘active’ regeneration where the engine control software senses that the filter’s getting blocked and injects extra fuel into the engine to raise the exhaust temperature and trigger regeneration.
Active regeneration will be initiated every 300 miles or so depending on how you use your car and will take 5 to 10 minutes to complete. But it’s a problem if your journey’s too short and the regeneration doesn’t finish.
During active regeneration you may notice:
- Vehicle stuck in “Limp” Mode
- Premature Engine & Turbo Failure
- Reduced Engine Power
- Continuous Regeneration Failure
- Strong Diesel Smell
- Excessive Smoke from Exhaust
Don’t ignore a warning light
If you get a warning light showing that the filter’s blocked, it should be possible to complete an active regeneration cycle and clear the warning light by driving for 10 minutes or so at speeds over 40mph.
If you ignore a DPF warning light and keep driving in a relatively slow, stop/start pattern, soot will build up in the filter until your car goes into ‘restricted performance mode’ to prevent damage.
If you let it get this bad:
- Driving at speed alone won’t be enough.
- You’ll have to get a dealer to do a manual or ‘forced’ filter regeneration.
- In extreme cases they may have to replace the filter which can cost at least £1000 plus labour.
In most cases there’s only a short time between the DPF being partially blocked and it getting so blocked it needs a manual regeneration.
What prevents normal regeneration?
- Frequent short journeys where the engine doesn’t get hot
- The wrong type of engine oil – check your handbook
- A problem with the fuel system or Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) causing excess soot.
- A warning light on the dashboard or a diagnostic trouble code stored in the engine management system.
- Going over the recommended service interval
- If the vehicle uses Eolys™ additive, a low level in the tank can prevent regeneration.
- Low fuel level – generally less than a quarter of a tank – will prevent active regeneration taking place.
Card holders receive FREE estimates, lifetime warranty on repairs and £50 off any excess payment.
Peugeot Accident Repair Centre
We are an approved Peugeot repair centre with specialist Peugeot trained technicians.
Only genuine Peugeot parts.
Checked and Vetted
We are always looking for ways to improve our service for our customers.
If you could spare a few moments we would be grateful if you could leave feedback on the link below
TAX & MOT Checker
Using the new free online tax checker you can check any vehicle against the DVLA database to ensure it has been taxed.
You can also check to see when your MOT is due.
Search for you tyres today We supply top brand tyres Ready to fit while you wait Lowest tyre prices online
BOOK NOW, PAY WHEN FITTED!
As well as tyres we also offer wheel balancing and tracking.
Request a Premier Advantage Card
FREE diagnosticsadvantage-card FREE puncture repairs FREE bulb & wiper fitting FREE tyre checks FREE health checks & fluid top up’s FREE accident recovery £50 off excess payments FREE air fresheners FREE accident assistance
Every month one advantage card holder will win a FREE full valet worth £50. The winner will be chosen using random.org and the winning advantage card number will be sent out in our monthly newsletter.
The advantage card cost’s you nothing. Simply register today and we will send you your advantage card directly to you via post.
Large Selection of Bridgstone Tyres
Large Selection of Continental Tyres
Large Selection of Dunlop Tyres
Large Selection of Goodyear Tyres
Large Selection of Michelin Tyres
Large Selection of Pirelli Tyres
Large Selection of Runway Tyres
© Premier Vehicle Care Limited 2021
Premier Vehicle Care Limited – Registered in England & Wales 05441017 – Incorporated on 3 May 2005. Premier House, Benfield Road, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE6 5XA